The shakedown of the Analog Music Co. perfboard built Tube Screamer.
The shakedown of my perfboard built Tube Screamer. It has more clarity and is quite grittier and more biting compared to the stock 808, while maintaining the signature character. Pretty satisfied with the performance. Recorded into my Silverface Bassman (set up clean) with UA OX. Double DL4s are responsible for the loops (which is so much fun on its own).
Almost ready & waiting for the 1980 JRC4558D to be installed.
Most importantly, a pair of 1980 JRC 4558s arrived, and are ready to be installed. So next time I’ll share the final build, and some sound clips.
Initially, I planned to use the germanium diodes for the clipping.
As seen, I installed germanium diodes for the clipping, but soon ditched the idea, since their performance in this case wasn’t satisfactory. The current iteration has silicon diodes, which provide much smoother clipping.
Capacitors and transistors: ERO film, K-50 electrolytic & 2N3565
There's no denying, the vintage components possess their charm. On the other hand, working with them is much more demanding. From the leads cleaning, to some of them being quite fragile and falling apart in your hands.
Closeup of the NOS 2N3565 used for the buffers.
There's definitely something pleasing in the TO-106 transistor package.
More work in progress shots of the perfboard Tube Screamer build.
The version I’ve chosen has input/output buffers, so a pair of 2N3565 transistors is assigned for the job.
The capacitors are a mix of Orange Drops, Ero, and Soviet ceramic.
The electrolytics are Philips, Sprague and Soviet K-50.
The general view of the board.
We are approaching the wiring stage and installation into the enclosure.
Despite their vintage, the performance of new old stock components is flawless. The only drawback is that they’re tricky to source, those red resistors especially.
Next we’ll highlight the capacitors, which are a quite cool selection too.
Progress continues on my Tube Screamer.
More components are assembled and start being soldered. The resistors I’ve chosen are mostly a mix of late 60’s MLT (red, metal film, lacquered, heat resistant) and MT (green, enhanced mechanical strength, also heat resistant).
The work has begun.
I’ve selected the components and started working on the layout. This is the first step with the components dry fitted (not soldered yet). Quite a few things will change in the final design.
The split PCB which was the trigger to build our Screamer from scratch.
I was drilling holes in this PCB for the MAPE build. And I’m using a really sharp tool to mark up the board, when the damn thing just snaps right in half! Lucky for me I didn’t stab myself. But I’m also out of luck because I got just enough 808s to fill the orders, plus one reference unit for myself. Getting another one now would take forever, and we’d end up with an unused enclosure (quite a pricey enclosure).
By total coincidence, I just bought a couple of 1980 JRC4558D ICs recently. And I had a bakelite perfboard lying around too. So I figured, I’ll rebuild the whole pedal old school style with some cool vintage components I’ve got in my reserves. So stick around, this ought to be good!